Before applying for benefits: required information
The application form is personalized and has 7 steps. The questions in the form will adapt to your situation as you go along, based on the information you provide and the event regarding which you are applying for parental insurance benefits. If you start filling your application without submitting it immediately, the information you entered will be kept on file for up to 120 days. That way, you’ll be able to review and change your application before submitting it, to make sure the information is accurate and complete.
In order for us to determine eligibility for benefits, you will have to provide information about your situation and that of the other parent. The information you must provide includes:
- Personal information:
- Your social insurance number
- The other parent’s social insurance number
- Your banking information
- Information about the birth or adoption of your child:
- Location of birth or adoption
- Type of adoption
- Information about your income:
- Your gross salary
- Your last day of work
- The number of records of employment you received over the last 52 weeks
- Your net business income if you are self-employed.
To submit an application for parental insurance benefits online, you must first enter your clicSÉQUR user code and password. ClicSÉQUR is the Québec government's identity authentication service and helps make information exchange between citizens and the Québec public administration secure.
Information about submitting an application for benefits
Please note the following:
- Each parent must submit an application for benefits.
- If you use our online services, the date you submit your application is considered to be its filing date.
- Benefits may be payable up to six weeks preceding the date of your application for benefits.
- Once your application is sent to the QPIP, you will automatically receive a confirmation number confirming that your application has been recorded at the QPIP.
- Do not provide any supporting documents unless we request them (we will send the request by email or regular mail).
- To speed up the processing of your file, you can digitize or take a picture of any requested documents and upload them directly to your file using our online services.
- If you send the documents by mail, be sure to send photocopies. Do not send the originals.
- If you apply for maternity benefits before the birth of your child, you must provide identification information about the child following his or her birth. You can provide the information to the QPIP through your online file or by calling the Centre de service à la clientèle.
- You must also declare the child’s birth to the Directeur de l'état civil.
- Decisions are usually rendered within 10 business days following the date the Centre de service à la clientèle received all documents needed to study the file.
- During the period you receive benefits, you can access your online file to follow your file's progress and make certain changes.
Notice to Clientele
You could be eligible for a minimum temporary benefit of $500 a week until the end of your benefit period if you meet the following requirements:
- You are eligible for QPIP benefits
- Your benefit period begins before September 25, 2021
- Your benefit amount is less than $500
See the news “Temporary Adjustment of Québec Parental Insurance Plan Benefits”.
Other government programs and services
Visit the Becoming a parent page at Québec.ca to find out more about government programs and services available to new or future parents.