Each parent must apply for benefits.
You may complete your application for benefits in advance by using our online services. Your information will be kept for 120 days. It will therefore be quicker to send your application when the time arrives.
To find out when to send your application, you must first choose the time when you wish to receive your benefits. On or after that date, you may send your application.
Choosing the Start Date of Your Benefits
First choose the date when you wish to start receiving your benefits. This date varies according to your life event and your work situation.
Pregnancy or Birth
- Maternity benefits may begin no sooner than the 16th week before the week scheduled for childbirth.
- Paternity benefits and parental benefits may begin no sooner than the week of the child's birth.
- Adoption benefits and adoption-related welcome and support benefits may begin no sooner than the week of the child's arrival in the care of one of the parents for adoption.
- In the case of an adoption outside Québec, adoption benefits and adoption-related welcome and support benefits may begin five weeks before than the week of the child's arrival in the care of one of the parents for adoption.
Date of the Child's Arrival
The date considered as the date of the child's arrival for adoption depends on the type of adoption:
- For regular adoption, Indigenous custom adoption or adoption under the Banque Mixte (Mixed Bank) Program, this is the date when the child is placed physically with the family.
- For special (intrafamily) adoption and adoption of a child already placed with you in a foster family, this is the date of the court filing of the application for an order to place the child for adoption.
Death of a Child
Go to the Death of a Child page to find out the specific conditions concerning these situations.
Termination of Pregnancy
Go to the Termination of Pregnancy page to find out the specific conditions concerning these situations.