Before applying for benefits
The application form is personalized and has 7 steps. The questions in the form will adapt to your situation as you go along, based on the information you provide and the event regarding which you are applying for parental insurance benefits.
In order for us to determine eligibility for benefits, you will have to provide information about your situation and that of the other parent. The information you must provide includes:
- Identification information:
- Your social insurance number
- The other parent’s social insurance number
- Information about the birth or adoption of your child:
- Location of birth or adoption
- Type of adoption
Since benefit amounts are based on income, you may need to consult information found on the following documents:
- Your income tax returns
- Records of Employment
Please note that you can check and change the information in your application form before submitting it, to make sure that the information you have indicated is correct.
To submit an application for parental insurance benefits online, you must first enter your clicSÉQUR user code and password. ClicSÉQUR is the Québec government's identity authentication service and helps make information exchange between citizens and the Québec public administration secure.
If you begin completing an application but do not immediately submit it, your information will be kept for 120 days. When you are ready to submit the application, access your file and select Continue.
Please note the following:
- Each parent must submit an application for benefits.
- If you use our online services, the date you submit your application is considered to be its filing date.
- A maximum of 3 weeks of retroactive payments can be paid to you as of the date you submitted your application.
- Once your application is sent to the QPIP, you will automatically receive a confirmation number confirming that your application has been recorded at the QPIP.
- Do not provide any supporting documents unless we request them (we will send
the request by email or regular mail).
- To speed up the processing of your file, you can digitize or take a picture of any requested documents and upload them directly to your file, using our online services.
- If you send the documents by mail, be sure to send photocopies. Do not send the
- If you apply for maternity benefits before the birth of your child, you must provide
identification information about the child following his or her birth. You can provide the information to the QPIP through your online file, or by calling the Centre de service à la clientèle.
- You must also declare the child’s birth to the Directeur de l'état civil.
- Decisions are usually rendered within 10 days following the date the Centre de service à la clientèle received all documents needed to study the file.
- During the period you receive benefits, you can access your online file to follow your file's progress and make certain changes.
Simplify your steps
My Québec Services Account provides you with a list of personalized steps that you must take to access government programs and services upon your child’s birth, and allow you direct access to online services.